Thursday, January 31, 2008

Electric Failure and FOI (31 JAN 08)

I flew the V up to Akron today. I was going to stay local but decided to fly the V a bit further to get engine temps up. She hasn't flown more than 1/2 hour in the last 3 months and some water had collected in the oil. A longer flight at higher power output would help take care of that and keep corrosion at bay.

I also needed to test fly it after the landing gear indicator was repaired.

I filed IFR even though it was VMC today. A high cloud layer at 12,000 and then another at 10,000 was all that was forecast. Winds were light out of the east, which can spell trouble at VVS, but should be no factor at FWQ.

After a long preheat in the hangar I finally got it started. The battery acted as if it barely had a charge, even though it had been on the charger for 4 days and had a full charged indication on the trickle charger. After about 4 tries she finally fired up. I waited a while before moving and let the oil temp rise. I taxied to fuel and shut down, fueled up, and then restarted on the first throw.

After a short wait for a clearance, I took off on 8 and then turned to the assigned 270 heading. Soon I was given direct BSV and 6000. It was smooth as glass up to and including 6000, and remained that way until ATC asked if I wanted to descend to 4000 (as filed). I said, "We'll stay at 6 if that's OK -- nice and smooth at 6."

After approval the bumps started. Nothing too bad but just a steady chop that caused yawing. Some rudder work dampened that some.

Ahead were some clouds. ATC vectored me around the precip but I spent a little bit of time in the mist. the ground was still discernible below but the instruments worked fine and I felt comfortable if we went totally IMC, as long as there was no ice. None developed so we were in good shape.

A bit of vectoring to the east and then the visual to AKR. The 496 helped maintain situational awareness and the big runway at KAKR was soon in view. After joining the left hand pattern landed on runway 7. The landing was poor with a bit too much flare and some awkward floating prior to touchdown. 172 habits die hard.

The return trip started after a battery charge. After getting started and calling CLC delivery on 121.6 I took off from 7 and headed east until vectored direct HLG.

ATC complained about the transponder, and eventually they said it wasn't on at all.

Not long after switching to Pitt Approach and receiving direct to KFWQ at 5000 I lost all electric -- radios, transponder, panel, and even indicator lights were all dark. I fished out the handheld and contacted Pitt Approach and notified them of the situation and then maintained heading and altitude.

The direct routing placed me right in the approach path to the active runways at KPIT, but I had no other option. I used the GPS to plan my direct route and soon saw the city. Once KAGC was in sight I called Pitt Approach on 119.35 and they replied to descend and maintain 4000.

A bit later I told them I had to descend and slow and would be unable to hear transmissions as I dropped the gear manually.

Once at 3000 I slowed to 100 MPH, pulled the gear CB, and manually cranked down the gear. It went down smoothly and the crank stopped. I popped the CB back in and the green light glowed dimly and I verified the mechanical indication on the floor.

I used the handheld to call my position to Rostraver traffic and joined the pattern on a 45 angle to downwind. I wanted to have maximum time to see other traffic and be seen.

I tried the flaps and they dropped 15 degrees or so. I came in a bit fast (85 MPH while 75 is my target) and landed OK -- not a rough landing but not centerline perfection, either.

I called the FSS number and advised them to cancel IFR.

2.2 hours logged with some excitement along the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!