Tuesday, January 29, 2008

CAP Flight 4777 Local Practice (28 FEB 07)

Finally, a beautiful day with some warmth! The above-freezing temps melted most of the snow, so there was a haze/mist layer up to about 4000', but otherwise a very nice day to fly.

The winds were 220 @ 4 at MGW, but a bit stronger and more westerly a few hundred feet up.

I'm practicing flying from the right seat. Everything but x-wind landings are coming to me pretty easily. I have to be conscious about keeping my left hand on the throttle, and will have to do some eyes-closed drills to be able to reach everything, but overall I'm getting comfortable turning, climbing, and flying straight and level from the right.

Landings are another matter. I'm still working on getting the sight picture right so that I'm not landing sideways. This gets compounded in x-winds (as I learned yesterday).

Of course I haven't flown the 172 much lately so I should probably spend some time in the left in x-winds getting the technique down. It's a bit different than the Bonanzas, where the crab and then a slight wing down works.

Coordination in the turns and the pattern work is good. I need to work on doing the maneuvers completely visually -- I still rely on the instruments too much.

Two hours of flight time today -- not bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!