Saturday, January 26, 2008

IFR to VA and Back

It was a picture perfect but cold day yesterday as a big H dominated the mid-Atlantic region. The only forecast trouble might be some gusty winds -- never any fun over the Alleghenies.

I had to get to the airport extra early to give the heater a chance to warm up the hangar and the airplane. I arrived at 0610 and fired up the Reddy heater. It was 10 degrees F this morning and the hangar never really warmed up. The OAT gauge displayed 38 after an hour of heating, so I knew it wouldn't get much warmer. I turned the prop over a few times to help circulate the oil.

After shoveling an inch of icy snow off the driveway I started the tug and pulled the Bonanza out. I was glad the tug worked because the pin is still broken in the nosegear and it would have been impossible to push the airplane out over the ice and snow by myself.

I quickly closed up the hangar and truck and bid farewell --hopefully. After a few turns of the prop she started up. She ran for 15 seconds or so then died, despite my efforts to keep it going by altering the mixture. A quick check of the fuel selector, another boost from the aux fuel pump, and she started. I kept the RPMs up to 1100 and watched the oil pressure and cylinder temperature slowly climb.

By now the sky was starting to glow in the early morning dawn. The satellite and pre-flight brief both indicated clear skies. The 496 XM weather displayed everything but cloud cover -- it was "Waiting for Data." I carefully taxied over the patchy ice to 26.

Winds were steady from the west at 8-10. On the way in I noticed flags whipping in the breeze, so may have been stronger.

The runup went fine, and after a brief wait (about 10 minutes) got my clearance from Clearance delivery on the cell. After takeoff they had me climb to and maintain 3000 on a westerly heading. As soon as I contacted approach, they gave me direct to OTOWN, my first waypoint.

I climbed to 5, then 9000 then was on my way east. The GPS groundspeed hovered around 180 and 190 the entire time I was at 9000. I engaged the AP and monitored the instruments and referred to the maps to figure out where I was.

In fairly rapid succession I switched form Cleveland center to Washington to Potomac. less than and hour after runup I was descending towards Shannon airport (KEZF). Descending through 4000 it started to get bumpy. Winds were form the northwest at Shannon at 10 gusting to 16. The sky was clear but disturbed as a big High took over from the previous night's Low. I left the AP on after each descent so I could clean up the cabin, get the approach plate reviewed, and prepare for arrival.

I accepted a visual approach into Shannon. After reviewing the sectional I figured once I had I-95 in sight the airport should be just beyond it. In the distance the Bay was glistening in the sunshine. The usual DC traffic chatter kept the frequency busy. It was good to be in the air.

With the help of the GPS and the clear air I spotted Shannon airport in the distance. It was hard to pick out because it's not very big and the runway was partially obscured by trees and buildings from the angle I was approaching.

I canceled IFR, overflew the airport, descended and joined left crosswind for runway 6,slowed the airplane up and prepared for landing. GUMPS on downwind, then again on base and final. I targeted 80 KIAS as my base speed given the possible gusty conditions. But the base was smooth with no airspeed excursions. I pulled it back to 75 on short final and touched down rather gently within the first quarter of the 2999' runway. I let it roll down to the FBO parking on the north side of the field.

The return trip started later than planned. After some Bonanza-talk with another Bonanza pilot I started up at 1550. Winds were now 260 @ 6, nearly straight down the runway (24). After holding for 10 minutes, I called again, requested an IFR clearance, and then waited another 15 minutes. When he came back on the line he said "Call this number for your clearance." I called and waited another 5 minutes for the clearance -- all the while the engine running. At least it was fully warmed up prior to takeoff.

Clearance instructions were to climb and maintain 2000 at a heading 090 and expect the rest after 10 minutes. Due east would not work for a return trip to Pittsburgh, but I figured they wanted to vector me away from traffic. On this cold day with strong winds from the west I was at 2000' in no time, and was busy for a few minutes turning to the heading, reducing power, re-trimming, and communicating with Quantico Approach.

I saw a C-17 not too far away. Apparently he was holding over Stafford airport, about 7 miles from Shannon. I was being vectored to avoid his wake, which was fine with me. Ahead of me the Potomac opened up into the bay, and in the distance I could see the Nice Bridge that carries 301 from MD to Virginia.

Soon I was vectored to 360, and then direct to Linden VOR. I climbed to 4000 and stayed at 4 for about 15 minutes. The Alleghenies in the distance were clearly visible (as were the taller ridges in WV). I flew south of Dulles and I assumed they were keeping me below the jet arrivals. The groundspeed showed a pitiful 123 knots.

Eventually I was cleared to my requested altitude of 8000. It was smooth air all the way, despite the steady northwest winds. The air was clear and the view was spectacular. I monitored systems and worked on keeping the mixture just Lean of Peak. The temperatures are actually cooler at LOP and wear is no greater than at Rich of Peak, while reducing fuel consumption by .5 to 1 gallon per hour. I dialed the RPMs back to 2200 and MP to 21". Indicated airspeed was 143 while GS was hovering around 125.

Direct from Linden to Grantsville is a long stretch of not many options -- all mountain ridges and no airports. I waited until KCBE to switch tanks. She continued humming along.

The sun was near the horizon by now, but it was still plenty light. I saw a small jet about 5 miles to my left heading the opposite direction -- the closing speeds were impressive.

I requested 6000 as I approached the Indian head VOR. ATC gave me 4000 and then amended it to 5000 (4000 was a bit low for this area -- but I wouldn't have been down to 4000 until well past the ridges anyway).

The sun set and a few high clouds gave the sky some texture. I checked AWOS and all was good at FWQ -- sky clear, vis 10, and winds 260 @ 6.

After switch to Pittsburgh Approach I canceled IFR but the controller let me stay with her for advisories. 5 miles out I asked to switch to local and then entered and extended left base for 26.

The landing was flawless and I rolled to the taxi exit, fueled up, and put her away.

The V tail is fixed so I'm anxious to get her back in the air.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!