Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Today's Short Flight (16 JAN 08)

After a nice long preheat of the hangar and some time fiddling with the Garmin 496 yoke mount in the V Tail, I started it up and taxied out for some x-wind practice on 26.

Winds were 5-6 knots from 180, so it would be a very nice direct x-wind.

After a good long warm up I took the active and stopped, set full power, and released the brakes.

The nose wheel must have been cocked to one side because she wanted to turn left. I had to touch the brakes twice on the right to get turned back to center and then very soon 70 MPH and then lift-off.

I climbed at 80 and left the gear down -- I was staying in the pattern anyway. Very soon I was 800' AGL and started my turn to x-wind and then downwind. The airplane was still climbing at 100 MPH and 20" of MP so I backed it off to 17". It still wanted to accelerate so I set it at 15". That stabilized the airspeed at 100 MPH at straight and level with the gear down. Not bad.

I tried to keep the pattern close but the southerly wind blew me towards the runway. ON turn to base I was still pretty high. I kept it right at 80 with full flaps.

I touched down just past the numbers and rolled to the second taxi way.

I did a few more stop and goes and had to go around on one since I was too high after turn from base to final. Next one I worked harder at maintaining the crab to stay equal distance from the runway on downwind. Gotta practice the basics.

On the 4th pattern I hit full flaps and then noticed there was no radio noise. checked the panel and all was dark -- no electric power.

I checked the flaps and they were down. I kept flying the airplane and checked CB -- none were up.

I cycled the generator switch and nothing.

I was on base so decided to forgo fishing out the handheld. The other traffic behind had me in sight before I lost comms.

I landed OK and then taxied to the hangar. A few more tries and still no power.

I'll have Kevin take a look and see what's up. Might be the new flap motor?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!