Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Infrequent Flying Blues (16 JAN 08)

This week has provided more typical winter yuck -- intermittent snow shows, low ceilings, icing, strong winds, turbulence. The pattern has been for a low to get established somewhere over Tennessee and work its way northeastward until settling in and deepening over New England. We've had several of these so far and it seems to be the standard pattern.

Today may clear by noon (at least that's what the TAFS suggest), and, given the 500mb chart's depiction of steering winds, I think nice weather will prevail sometime after 1000 EST.

If all this holds true, I'm planning on taking the V up for a bit. I'm not sure where I'll go -- maybe just stay in the pattern? -- but I enjoy flying that airplane. The efficiency, simplicity, control harmony, and speed make it a joy to fly.

It's funny how the more often you fly, the more intensely you miss it when you can't fly. After a longer break other things crowd in and when I finally get to the airport I get those little bouts of trepidation -- What will I forget? Will I be able to handle an emergency? What if it's rough? -- that only seem to bubble up only when I don't feel 100% proficient.

In some ways it's a lot like racing -- some anxious moments, and then you're off and you wonder "How do I live without doing this?"

I've heard other pilots talk about the day or the flight they became 100% comfortable in the sky or in IMC. Usually there are a few thousand hours preceding that moment. I have had times during flights when I have been 100% at ease, but I think I need some more solo time -- just me and the airplane, to get that feeling consistently.

So hopefully today I'll get to fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!