Monday, February 27, 2012

SportStar Checkout (part 2)

Yesterday (Saturday) was no day to be flying LSA:

KLNS 251553Z 28020G32KT 10SM SCT047 OVC055 04/M06 A2974 RMK AO2 PK WND 27037/1510 SLP074

 But Sunday was forecast to be very nice with steady winds from the west and clear skies. After a morning at church and an early afternoon watching the Pittsburgh Penguins dominate the hapless Columbus Blue Jackets I packed up my headset and drove to to the Lancaster airport.

Adventure Flight was busy with folks and I slipped in, grabbed the keys, and headed out to preflight. N711EV sat outside in the sun. I pushed it to the fuel truck, added 8 gallons total (premium MOGAS) and we were ready to go.

Before we started I wanted to review what the book recommended and what John used teaching students. 60 KIAS seems to be the magic number -- best rate is 58, best angle is 53, and target airspeed on final is 60. Easy and matches the Chief (60 MPH).

"Line up and wait on 31
Winds were 280@7 and no factor. The climb angle at 60 is steep and precludes straight-ahead sight so I pitched for 70 KIAS. Two up with 1/2 tanks of fuel and we were still climbing out at 1000 FPM.

Takeoffs are straightforward. I ignored the ASI and just felt for the airplane to get light on its feet and then rotated. It takes a definite pull on the stick or we'd roll along the runway at 80 until it ended. Once the air gets under those wings she lifts off nicely. I have to get used to using flaps on every takeoff, but it won't hurt to release them once rate of climb is established (usually by 50' AGL) and quite frankly doesn't need them to get airborne.

Simple panel with EFIS and Garmin 496. Trim indicator is on far left side.
John and I flew the pattern a while as I got used to the best techniques and the airplane's trim. Soon I was touching down gently and using my tailwheel method of pulling back as soon as she touched.

When our power failed (simulated) I turned towards the runway. we were high but that didn't matter. 15 then 30 degrees of flaps, stable at 57 KIAS, then 50 degrees with the runway made and we touched down just past the numbers -- easy.

By now I was wearing the airplane  and John climbed out and sent me on my way to get acquainted. Takeoff was even more impressive solo and I headed south in the fading afternoon light. Sky clear I did some steep turns (really steep -- 60-80 degree bank) , slow flight, stalls, and then a chandelle and a steep spiral. She handles very nicely for a trainer -- with no hint of the sluggish roll rate built into the Cessna 150/170/180 series. Control was positive and solid. I played at altitude for about a half hour, then decided to head back before dark.

A nice touchdown on 31 and back to the roost. I'm going to enjoy teaching in this airplane!

As of today (Monday, February 26th) I'm on the roster as a resource on the Adventure reservation system.

Always a great view -- rolling down the runway

A great day to fly!

Lancaster glowing in the sunset

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!