Monday, February 6, 2012

Early Morning Test Flight

I accomplished some maintenance Saturday that took longer than expected. I didn't have time to fly once I was done so decided to do the test flight this morning. Winds were calm or light (260 @ 3 at KLNS) and the air was cold (32 F) though hazy.

Smoketown Airport from 1500' AGL (looking towards runway 28)
Clear above, hazy below

Hazy sunshine




I arrived at 7:15 just after sunrise. The hangar doors were coated with a layer of frost. I pulled the airplane out, did a quick preflight, and went through the starting routine.

Silence.

After a few more throws I gave it more prime, spun the prop through a dozen times, and added a bit more throttle. It caught, then started sputtering. Another round of startup and finally she caught and after a few early stumbles started running smoothly.

Tiedown and chocks out, climb in, taxi to runway 28. The windscreen was now sporting a haze of frost but was still clear enough to see forward. I did an extra-long runup and everything checked out. Taxi to centerline, hold brakes, apply full power -- all good. Release and takeoff.

I stayed in the pattern, climbing to 2000' and enjoying the smooth air and million-mile view above the haze  clinging to the cold ground.


I had limited time, so checked carb heat, then mags. Each side gave a 50 RPM drop at full power -- good. I really wanted to fly somewhere this beautiful day but had to get back down, get in the car, and drive to Exton. A passable landing on the pavement and then push back in, chock, close and lock, and drive away. She's good to go until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!