Tuesday, October 18, 2011

No Electric, IMC

[I originally posted this on a pilot web board after it happened  in July 2010]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I learned the hard way why we train in degraded modes.

I planned to sit right seat with an IR student down to NC and I was going to fly it back. This was a very well equipped Cessna 205 with thorough annual completed a few weeks ago.

I arrived early and watched ceilings lower as lines of widely spread thunderstorms crawled through the area. We had XM and Stormscope on board, so we'd have updated info. I did a thorough weather brief, and figured we'd be in front of the line as long as we were airborne by 0600.

Preflight, load up, call Pittsburgh Approach a few times on the cell for an IFR clearance, finally get through. Release time 0620 -- That will work.

Startup, taxi down, runup, everything good -- yet the XM weather on the Garmin handheld still shows "Waiting for data." Oh well.

Stormscope shows lots of activity just to the south. We'll have to ask to deviate east once we contact Center.

We launch and within a minute are in IMC, and despite winds in the 20s, it's not too rough. Still, the left seater isn't doing a very good job keeping wings level. I point to the attitude indicator. We roll through level and then head the other way. Such is learning -- I'll only interfere if bank exceeds 15 degrees or so.

I try calling Cleveland center -- nothing. Hmmm. We usually make contact by now...

Lots of bright lights on the Stormscope. We need to deviate soon. The closest strike is within 25 miles.

Try again. We're at 3500, cleared to 5,000 feet, but still no response from Cleveland Center.

Hmmm...

"Let's try Pitt approach..."

Silence.

Clarksburg Approach?

Silence.

I reach for the landing lights, switch them on then off and watch the Ammeter needle center slowly.

Hmm....

I glance at the panel. We're in a 30 degree bank.

"Let's turn on the A/P while I figure out this comm problem..."

"OK..." Relief. Wings level.

I fiddle with the radios, try different frequencies -- nothing. Not a peep.

Very strange.

I look at the AI -- We're in a 30 degree bank!!

What??!

I switch off the A/P, grab the yoke, tell my student "My airplane."

I look over and try to figure out why the A/P is freaking out. But while doing that I don't correct the bank, then hear the Voice in My Head -- "FLY THE AIRPLANE!"

Oh yeah... wings level, descent arrested.

Now -- where are we?

I switch off the transponder, secondary comms, all lights. The panel-mounted Garmin 430 is still working, so is the 496 handheld.

"Set up Direct Connellsville on the handheld." My left-seat co-pilot complies.

I dial in the Localizer 5 Approach into KVVS on the 430. We have no radio reception, but the overlay will provide enough guidance to get us down under this cloud.

We are over terrain that reaches 3000' -- I'm at 3500'.

I climb to 4000, then fly direct to the initial approach fix displayed on the GPS. The VOR needles won't work since we have no power in the radios.

The little airplane shows up on the magenta line. We're on battery power only and the handheld has the same approach setup. I do the full procedure turn, descending to the approach altitude, We're established, but not on any needle -- no signal.

All we have is the GPS guidance. This is not a "legal" GPS overlay approach.

So be it.

We break out at 2100 MSL -- a few hundred feet above Minimums (the terrain here is 1400-1500' above sea level). Thank you Lord for sight.

I fly a left downwind, "You want to land it?"

"No, you take it."

I land a bit fast and long but smoothly in the gusty 20+ knot wind. I let him taxi back because I had enough.

Once stopped, I hop out and call ATC to cancel.

They seem as relieved as we are: "Yeah, we were wondering what happened..."

We put the airplane away, open up the cowling -- holy crap -- there are shards of belt everywhere. Nice.

I drove home and crawled back in bed and slept for a few hours, thankful to have another day to think about how many mistakes I've lived through.



Lessons learned?

  • Make sure you can hear some transmissions before taking off into IMC. Sure, we were on a quiet little field early in the morning, but other ATIS would have been broadcast at that time (even if ours was out of service).
  • The A/P cannot be relied on to reduce pilot load when there are system problems.
  • A handheld GPS device with independent battery and approaches is a lifesaver.
  • Practice emergencies. They don't happen when you expect them, and are more likely when you don't expect it.
  • The time to panic is after you're on the ground, pushing the airplane back in.
  • This stuff is for keeps.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!