Saturday, October 29, 2011

N75885

I have quite a few hours in this airplane -- it was a rental at (the now defunct) Flight Source in Morgantown, WV. I took my Instrument rating training in it. It wouldn't start the day of my practical test in Elkins, WV. The A&P hand propped it and off I flew. It barely started so I could take my instrument practical exam with my Designated Examiner (Don Judy of Elkins, WV). On the way back I had to file since it was so hazy and HOT.

I landed, parked the airplane, and drove home exhausted. Not long after I was home my instructor called and asked, "Did you notice anything wrong with the airplane?"

"No."

"Well, all the engine oil is in the cowling or on the ramp..."

I hadn't noticed anything unusual when I flew it, but when I realized it had no oil, that meant it had maybe 5 minutes of run time before the engine seized and 75885 would become a not-so-great glider.

I didn't rent it anymore after that.

2 comments:

  1. Nope. It was the crankshaft main seal. They just did an overhaul and replaced the main seal and she continues to fly to this day, as far as I know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I thought that its demise prompted you to reminisce.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment!