Thursday, December 20, 2007

Today's Flying (12/20/07)

Flew the A36 for an oil change (right around 50 hours since last one). After a long pre-heat, taxied and sat and let it warm a bit. The instruments were still sticky (TC and DG) during the entire flight the FWQ. But GPS doesn't get cold and it was a good VFR day today.

Used the short field takeoff technique off from 23 -- brakes, full power, release, right rudder, hold yoke back, feel lightness at around 70, hold back, airborne at 74, hold back, accelerate to Vy (78 KIAS -- but I target 80), climb 100 feet above airport elevation, drop nose to accelerate to Vy (98 KIAS -- target 100) and gear up. When about to reach 1000 AGL power back to 25" MP, 2500 RPM and climb at 100-110 (depending on ambient temperature).

Doing closed pattern work I keep drawing down the power and RPM until I'm at 16" and 2100 RPM. This keeps airspeed around 100 KIAS as I get established on downwind and maintain altitude.

I drop the gear midfield (notional gear operation when doing closed traffic work, though) and then drop first 15 degrees flaps when abeam the numbers. Trim to 80, then begin descent.

I've been trying to fly tighter patterns, so downwind to base to final is usually one continuous 30 degree bank turn. Once on final I trim for 70 KIAS and add full flaps (25 degrees).

I usually need to add a little power to maintain the glide to the aiming point when trimmed for 70 KIAS (we are now in the region of reversed command so induced drag and descent rate increase dramatically).

Once the numbers are assured I begin arresting the descent with a touch of power once the numbers are under the wheels. The ground roll is VERY short using this technique!

Pete was right -- this technique really increases my confidence that I can land just about anywhere I need to. The Bonanza can easily be flown in and out of small airports.

Of course I am not near gross weight, but according to the POH weight doesn't add a huge amount to 50' obstacle takeoff distance.

Nevertheless, I don't foresee a reason to test this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!