Sunday, December 30, 2007

Today's Flight (12/30/07)

I flew the A36 from FWQ to VVS today, with some steep turn and steep spiral practice tossed in along the way.

The airplane is very easy to control at 50 degree bank -- I decided not to use trim as the manual trim is awkward and the electric trim too gross in adjustment. So I establish the 50 degree bank, added about two inches of MP, and pulled the elevator back and locked my elbow in place against the left armrest. We turned 720 degrees with 10' deviation in altitude. I used 95 KIAS as the entry speed and that worked out fine. The slower speed helps keep the radius reasonably tight (particularly important for steep spirals).

After some turns around the house we headed over to VVS. Within 5 miles and at 2500' I could tell the winds were from the east -- the bumps started. Approach was fine with no wild excursions, and I landed on 14 using short field technique.

I flared a bit high and we dropped in a bit -- one of my worst landings in a while!

I canceled the plane rides as the wind was freshening from the east and we were seeing some rain -- temps were hovering at 33 (it was 45 at FWQ).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!