Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Commercial Written Test

I passed my Commercial Knowledge test with a 91% on December 6th. I planned on taking it at Allegheny County Airport (KAGC) at the Pittsburgh Flight Training Center. I took my Instrument exam there. It's a good place to take the test -- within 10 minutes of the site are plenty of restaurants to go to celebrate (Pittsburgh's Waterfront shopping complex is the biggest).

But their proctor was out until December 20th, and I didn't want to wait anymore, so I scheduled at the next closest site, Ohio Valley Flight Service, Inc. at the Wheeling Airport (KHLG).

The proctor there was late, but I got started at 1330 and was done in about an hour. My test answering strategy is to memorize certain formulas, etc and then write them down as soon as I sit down, before looking at the test (I had 7 items I wanted to memorize for this test). Then I review the test and answer every question I know just by looking at it. That took care of about 80 questions. then I go back through and answer more deliberate questions. There were 5 I was sure I got wrong, but I took my best shot.

The CATS system is easy and you get your results immediately. A form is printed out with your score. You take that form with you to the Practical ("Flight") test with a CFI's endoresement that you reviewed all the subject areas you missed.

After the test I drove to Wheeling to the Cabela's store and had a disappointing lunch. I walked around a bit and did some Christmas shopping.

At this point I need 5.2 hours of dual and one 2 hour night XC flight (my longest night VFR flight is 1.7 hours (!)). I have all the other prerequisites completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!