Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Complex Airplanes

John asked me to help him work towards the Instrument Rating back in August. So while helping him on approaches I learned everything I could about the Bonanza. he let me fly it from the right and left seats, and then get checked out (an endorsement in official parlance).

I ordered John Eckelbar's Flying the Beech Bonanza and read it cover to cover. I found plenty of solid information to test out and apply to my flying. The most important lesson was to look for the appropriate Power Attitude and configuration for each phase of flight and use that every time.This approach really simplifies things and makes flying a complex airplane much less of a challenge.

I learned GUMPS during my instrument training (in a fixed gear 172) and am glad I did. I usually do at least 3 GUMPS checks before touchdown -- one at FAF, one with runway in sight, and one just before final trim for approach to landing if IFR, and once on downwind, once on base, and once on final if VFR or visual. My GUMPs means Gas, Undercarriage, Mixture, Prop, Seat belts and Switches. Adding the switches helps you remember to turn on PCL at night as well as landing lights, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!