Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Today's Flight (12/18/2007)

We flew the A36 to Indiana today. A friend of John's is looking to buy an airplane. He's found three he likes and has seen one so far. We left VVS at about 0900 after along preheat (it was 23 F this morning) for the short flight to MGW to pick up two other pilots who could help review the airplane's logbooks, etc.

We were near gross weight on takeoff from MGW, but the cold air coupled with a 10 knot breeze down the runway helped us get airborne in short order.

I filed for Zanesville VOR, Dayton VOR, and from there direct to the IAF into MQJ. We were cleared as filed and flew right over Columbus, OH. Traffic on Center and Approach was steady and busy.

The weather was fine with a steadily increasing overcast at 18-25,000 feet. As we approached Indiana there was more snow on the ground. Soon everything was coated in white.

I requested GPS 16 into MQJ, and intercepted the IAF waypoint (I need to reduce my turn radius on the turn inbound on the T approaches -- I'm always left or right of course upon completing the 90 degree turn).

Once established it took about 20 degree correction to stay on course due to the steady crosswind. I followed the VNAV slope and soon runway 16 appeared. It looked only partially cleared of snow and ice!

As we lined up for final, I decided it was clear enough to land. We landed (soft, gentle touchdown with the stall horn going) and then taxied for what seemed like 10 minutes to the apron.

We arrived at 1230 (departure from MGW was at 1000). After looking the airplane over (An overpriced Cherokee 6 with fairly dated avionics -- low TTAF since whoever owned it flew as little as 5 hours in a year), I filed for the return trip. We were airborne by 1400.

We flew at 3000 until clear of the Indy Class B, then to 5, then shortly thereafter to the filed altitude of 7,000. Winds were quartering tailwind, so we averaged 180 knots groundspeed while indicating 150.

Once in Clarksburg's airspace we were cleared direct to Tiple Intersection. Near Tiple we were vectored to intercept the localizer. I dropped gear and approach flaps outside the FAF and added power to maintain altitude until glideslope capture (I think I like my way better--drop gear at FAF, trim for 90 and then add approach flaps).

About 20 degrees correction required (again) to maintain the localizer. Glidesope was easy with no major PAC changes needed. I looked up about 400' AGL and runway was straight ahead. Full flaps, nose up, trim, 78 KIAS all the way down to the aiming point. Flare -- a touch of power, and an easy touchdown.

We dropped off our PAX, refueled, and headed back to VVS for the short (15 minutes air time) flight.

I flew an extended left downwind tight to 23 -- too tight, in fact. I turned left and kept turning and we were still right of centerline. I adjusted and we were on centerline and glideslope. Another gentle touchdown.

Overall a good day's flying! No big challenges except flying at gross weight (the only real indication was that we fuel GPH was about 1 - 1.5 gallons higher than normal at cruise, and 2-3 higher during the climb).

I hand flew the return trip as the AP was wandering a bit. I needed the practice and flew instruments most of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!