Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Power Source for Handheld Gadgets

My handheld radio setup worked well, but ate batteries. I averaged 10 transmissions before there wasn't enough power to push out (I could listen for a few hours).



So back to the web boards and Google. I found several posts about using a SLA battery as an alternate power source.

An SLA battery is a sealed battery most often used for backup power in emergency lighting. The package is reasonably small and dense, so it doesn't take much room in the tiny cockpit. (more about batteries here) I ordered a 12v from Radio Shack for $27.



The next challenge would be connecting the battery to the Handheld radio. After some research, I decided to use a 12v power adapter (like this). I'd make a female attachment from the battery, then plug the male end into the battery that way (and connect the radio power supply via the small plug).



I removed the alkaline battery pack from the radio, plugged everything in and -- success! I could hear transmissions on the handheld.

I zip tied the loose ends, applied Velcro to the bottom of the battery (so it would sit on the floor carpet) and carefully ran the power supply line along the glare shield.

I took a few test flights and am amazed. The radio performs as well as a panel mount and I have no real limit to total transmissions. I flew to Clarion and back through PIT Class Bravo and maintained contact with PIT Approach there and back with no problems.

My next project is attaching a small solar trickle charger to the battery to help maintain charge on longer flights. I should also be able to power a handheld GPS through this setup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!