Friday, November 4, 2011

The Chief Before I Bought It (Before and After)

The owner of john2031.com  took some pictures of N24286 in the hangar at Clarion Airport in 2003:


Notice the cowling -- yuck!

What the cowling looked like during re-finish:

I stripped it down completely and then did my best to reshape it a bit.


The nose piece also had to be stripped and reshaped:


The nearly finished product:

This picture also shows the new windscreen and the flat-black painted interior support tubes. I might paint the stripes back on.

Another before picture:

 And after. Notice the refinished prop, new tires, refurbished wheels, and shiny, clear windshield. This picture doesn't show that every inspection plate has been replaced and repainted.
I've since repainted the cowling with a creamy off-white to more closely match the rest of the airplane. More pictures to come after I get it back from this year's annual!

And the much-improved engine appearance. I removed all surface corrosion and repainted the engine with Lycoming Grey by Randolph Paints. I think the original was actually painted in black lacquer:
Lycoming O-145 in Smithsonian collection



Panel before restoration

3 comments:

  1. i just purchased a 1939 65CA ( up exhaust ) i need to form a new windscreen - can you help me with ( a form ) the data plate says 12 gallon tank - do you believe this to be true ? gale67c@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My header tank is 12 gallons, and so says the data plate. My windshield was produced by LP Aero and it was a one-off, one piece that looks great!

      Are you a member of the National Aeronca Association (http://www.joea.com/phpBB2/index.php)?

      If not, try it -- you will find a wealth of info there.

      Delete
  2. Donegal Springs Airpark has just been sold. Give the new owner time to clean things up and come have a look again. I'd love to look that airplane over, Chief!

    Mark Motter, pilot, Maytown Sport Parachute Club

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment!