Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Nice Evening to Fly

Had some time for a lesson late this afternoon. We had the airplane started by 415 and rolling by 420. The air was smooth and clear and the moon hung like a silver-rimmed jewel above the haze layer in a clear, sapphire sky. I had Rick practice steep turns and slow flight and speed control in level flight as I enjoyed the view.

It would be dark all too soon so I asked him to head to the airport. There's no GPS in this bird so it's pure terrain association. Fortunately Lancaster County has plenty of landmarks visible from 1500' up. After a bit of coaching we were downwind for runway 10.

Rick's getting the pattern and approach sequence. Landings are progressing but will take some practice. This is always a hurdle as it's rather unnatural to fly directly at the ground and then do big control movements while at slow flight. But then the moment comes when the light bulb clicks on and we all wonder, "Why did I ever think this was hard?"

No news today on the annual, which is not good news, as John was going to let me know his IA's schedule so we can have 24286 inspected so I can fly her home. This weather won't last -- of that I'm certain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!