Monday, May 3, 2010

Wet Grass

This morning I flew from Morgantown (KMGW) to Maley Field (6WO) in Shinnston, WV. The winds were calm, sky clear, and temperature about 50 F. It was a great morning to fly, and very, very smooth! It took about 20 minutes of flying time.

The field is on the side of a ridge next to a small river. Its listed as 2265’ long by 45’ wide, but it seems a whole lot narrower when you realize there is a 15’ drop on either side of the runway! I could see cattle grazing right off the left side, and lots of large hay bales off the right. I decided to land on runway 5 since winds were calm on the ground and runway 23 would put me very close to the ridge immediately to the north.

I found it without a problem (I checked Google Earth last night so knew exactly what it would look like). I also had an idea where the Big Elm school complex was in relation the field. It was a bit hazy in the valley (not quite fog, but not exactly clear, either – maybe 6 miles visibility).

Here are the helpful notes a pilot should know prior to landing:
  • 15 FT DROP-OFF 45 FT FM CNTRLN FULL LENGTH BOTH SIDES RY (actually, it’s about 20’ on each side from centerline – the runway might be 45’ wide)
  • APPROACH RWY 23 FROM NW; DEPART RWY 05 TO NW DUE TO RIDGE NE OF ARPT. (in other words, if you takeoff and don’t turn immediately to the left, you’ll smack the ridge, -- there’s no way to outclimb it unless you’re in a rocket)
  • DEER ON & INVOF ARPT (and cattle, and a donkey, and dogs, and a camel -- yes, a camel)
  • RY 05/23 +20 FT POLE MIDDLE OF RY 75 FT L&R OF CNTRLN (just to keep it interesting)
  • HIGH TERRAIN ALL QUADRANTS (they ain’t kiddin)

So, with those in mind, I decided to extend my downwind a bit so I would have a good look at the field. The problem is you have to stay within the valley once you start the pattern, because the ridges on either side have lots of towers, etc. I started to turn in, reduced power, and slipped some to lose altitude – I was a bit high since the field was small and the haze made it look futher than it actaully was. I slipped to about 100’ above the threshold and realized I would be touching down about 1/3rd of the way down the runway. But it was a slight uphill grade and grass so, I decided I had plenty of runway left.

I touched down very gently (probably my best yet) and could tell this grass was wet –- very wet. Brakes were absolutely not an option and I kept my heels up as I danced on the pedals to keep it going straight, straight, straight.

It felt like the longest rollout over, with the ditch on either side plainly visible and getting closer and deeper the longer I rolled.

The fence line ahead was getting close and I still felt like I was rolling at 60 MPH. I whipped past some cattle and then felt the tailwheel really catch and the airplane slow about 200’ from where it would start getting interesting.

I taxied back, glad my heart rate check for the day was complete. The field was fairly smooth, and I brought it over to the wide spot near the hangar and shut it down. It was so quiet -- interrupted only by brief cow moos and grunts and a small plane flying west to east several thousand feet overhead.

I tied down, got stuff ready, called the cab, and spent 15 minutes trying to explain to a cab company how to get to this place. When I hung up I still wasn't convinced they'd find me.

A 1980 (or so) Ford truck came rumbling down the dirt road to the hangar. “You need a ride?”

I learned it was the owner of the airport, Woody Maley . He built the airfield after the farm was strip mined in the ‘70s. He’s since built a hangar where he stores the family Cessna Skymaster and 150. He told me to cancel the cab – he’d lend me a car to use for the day. We loaded up his truck and drove to downtown Shinnston where the family used car lot sat. He gave me the keys to a small sedan and said, “Don’t worry about putting gas in it! See you when you get back!”

I thanked him, hopped in the car, and drove to Clarksburg where I work.

I’m sure this afternoon’s return flight will be some more fun, but that’s ok! I’m looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!