Monday, May 3, 2010

Chief Update

I've had the 1940 65hp Chief nearly a month now. I've logged 17 hours, a few dozen landings, burned about 65 gallons of fuel (50% 100LL, 50% BP premium 93 octane), hand started about 20 times, and watch the dipstick go down less than 1 quart of oil (about 3.2 qts in now, the other .8 is on the gear and belly).

Each time I fly it I have to remind myself to keep it straight on takeoff and landings. The last 10 hours worth of takeoffs have been fine with little or no drift. Landings have varied as I learn the correct sight picture on touchdown. It's actually possible to pull back too far and have the tailwheel strike first before it stalls.

So I've found it's best to be on short approach at 50 MPH, level off about 5' AGL, and hold it level as it bleeds off speed, then let it sink gradually while NOT letting it stall. I found it lands much more gently and with less stress on the gear if I maintain the taxi nose-up attitude and let it settle to earth rather than hold it off and wait for the stall (yes, there is a difference).

Sure, you can stall 1' AGL, and the airplane will drop down on all three points, but 99% of the time it will strike tail first. This airplane was upgraded with the Maule tailwheel some time back, but a glance at the structure supporting the spring will reinforce the need to protect the tail.

So touchdown is accomplished 2-3 MPH before stall. This results in a touchdown in the 35-37 MPH range (not sure how accurate the ASI is at those speeds, and I haven't been looking at it much).

What really helped me learn to keep it straight was to keep the small bulge on the left side of the cowl running along whatever line I choose to use (edge of runway, centerline, grass cut edge, etc). I learned that through trial and error and it seems to work for me. Even though I'm 6'1", I can't see over the nose when in the landing attitude (except on wheel landings).

I need to take some more dual to perfect my wheel landings. I think I'll end up preferring them in time as they seem to provide more control throughout the landing run. You're balancing a pin on a bowling ball when flying to 3 point and any litle breeze can mess things up.

In the air the airplane is predictable and honest. What I ask it to do it does without complain (except go fast ).

Airwork is fairly standard, though I seem more aware that I am flying a wing (if that makes sense). This airplane can show you what adverse yaw is in 5 seconds, whereas it doesn't mean much to modern airplane drivers (give a few BFRs and you'll see how flat-footed many pilots are, and can be, as the airplanes cover up mistakes).

I'm still re-teaching my feet on takeoff and landing. In more modern airplanes the rudder is handled with pressure. But in a light taildragger the rudder is handled with a frequent series of slight adjustments, with big adjustments in reserve and used when needed.

I'm still amazed at how much altitude I can lose in a small space by slipping. I haven't exhausted all the slip I have available yet (though I came close yesterday). It's good to know I can slip steeply over a treeline and gain back the close end of a grass runway or field. It's even more comforting to know touchdown will be slow, and an intentional groundloop can absorb alot of residual energy in the event of a very short field emergency landing.

So far, so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!