Friday, May 21, 2010

One Hour

I planned on flying to Greenville, PA and back today (annual check-up) but I felt a cold coming on last night.

I felt better this morning so I drove to the airport, pulled out the airplane, preflighted, started (one throw after 4 shots of prime and 6 cycles of the prop), and took off. Air was smooth, winds were calm at the surface but strong out of the Southeast 1000' AGL.

After 30 minutes of flying I was over Rostraver Airport (KFWQ) and decided to turn around -- I just didn't feel like flying much today.

I descended a bit and followed to Monongahela River a bit, then shot cross country towards Waynesburg. The airport was desolate so I overflew the field over 27 to check winds. Winds at 500' were now directly east so I did a 180 and landed gently on the grass along Runway 9.

The engine sounded fine and ran well with the normal tiny bit of oil dribbling beneath the cowling.

I put the airplane away and headed home where I'll rest a bit.

I must be pretty sick to cut a flight short.

At least I re-established confidence in the airplane's powerplant, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!