Saturday, October 30, 2010

Nearly Complete!

Yesterday afternoon (I took a day off to take care of a dental appointment and some other personal business in the morning) I spent 5 hours in the maintenance hangar putting N24286 back together again. Every inspection plate (new and freshly painted to match) was replaced, the wing root strips (freshly painted) were put back in using stainless steel screws, and I took the time to hook up the handheld antenna a bit better (locknuts and washers). The antenna is solid and the top nut area is protected from moisture with a coating of RTV sealent.

The rudder assembly cover gave me some problems (it's not clear which way is up), but it's back on.

All accessible pulleys and cables were lubricated with LPS-2.

I put the fuel gauge assembly back on (the cap repainted, a new length of duraluminum 1/8" gauge wire, and a re-varnished cork bobber).

I put the floorboards back in with new screws (after one final clean up of the exposed fabric). The carpet cut out fit perfectly and lays nicely without moving. The carpet runs up and overlaps the seat fabric, helping seal out anything from sliding under the seat and back towards the tail.

The Sporty's Handheld radio was given a new strip of velcro and so was the mounting plate. It's straight and secure.

I finished painting the few spots I missed in the engine compartment. I checked the fit and look of the nosebowl -- it looks good. I found the right size screws to replace the rusty ones that were in there.

John tried to put the induction tubes back on but the hose collars were too short. New ones are on order.

I was going to put the anti-chafing seal on but we dedcided to remove the Venturi and clean it and see if we can get the bank indicator working. We'll see.

The skull-cap spinner looks good -- all corrosion removed and it looks nice and shiny. Not mirror-smooth since I'm not that patient.

I found replacement nails to use as door hinges. I may try the thin steel wire I tried as a fuel gauge replacement.

So far so good -- pictures to come once the windshield is in and the induction hoses installed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!