Monday, March 17, 2008

Long Day of CFI Train Up (17 MAR 08)

Today was absolutely beautiful, so another personal day and on to the airport...

I flew the A36 to FWQ after a 20 minute pre-heat (it was 28 degrees at 930 AM). It was fairly smooth at 3000', which was a nice change from the flying weather the past few months.

After arrival at FWQ, Larry hopped into the left seat and we took off for some Lazy 8, Chandelle, Steep Turn, and other practice. The chandelles went well with only a few minor quibbles, but otherwise the stall buzzer was on at the 170 point and on to the 180 point. 14 degrees up seems the magic number at 18" MAP (120 KIAS entry speed).

Then some steep turns. Left turns were smoother than right, but within Comm tolerances.

Then some Lazy 8s south of Washington, PA where there were perfect 90, 135, and 180 reference points on the horizon. The Lazy 8s were much better today, with only a few minor points, but overall a good set.

We flew to AGC where I practiced some touch and goes. For some reason I couldn't get the short field approach down -- I think it was becasue I wasn't sure what we were doing. I should have been more focused. We did 3 touch and goes at AGC then heded to FWQ for a few more stop and gos, including power off 180.

the winds at 1000' AGL were a bit stronger than I thought, so I came up short and had to add power.

After landing we headed to lunch. After a hamburger and cake, we headed back to FWQ and pulled out the 172E for spin training.

Today was much easier with no anxiety. I knew wht to expect and we did several spins. Those to the right would not snap like those to the left. The cross-control stall was a very quick transition to a right spin --impressive!

Then a landing at FWQ. I took the A36 back to VVS solo. I was pretty beat so I dint practice.

The landing at VVS was flawless.


So today I have my spin endorsement! We'll try to schedule the FAA for the appointment and then schedule one more pre-ride before the test.

I feel ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!