Thursday, March 13, 2008

CFI Dual (12 March 2008)

We had another decent afternoon forecast, but the downside was gusty winds. Nothing too difficult, but not ideal for flying the 172E or doing spins.

So I flew the A36 from VVS to FWQ under a 3000' ceiling. It was very hazy, though still VFR (about 5-7 miles vis under the overcast).

It was bumpy, but in the wave rolling way. I landed in the 8 to 16 Knot, varying from 240-320 wind on 26 with a gentle chirp (I can land this airplane! Just have to continue the transfer over to the right seat).

I fueled up and then tied it down on the ramp.

Larry and I went into the airport restaurant where we discussed students,training, CFI check ride expectations, etc while we waited for the overcast to dissipate.

By 1230 the sun was shining above and though there was still a broken layer to the north, I decided we would have success finding a hole if we flew south.

By now the wind was blowing steadily and it felt very cold out. After engine start I treated Larry as a brand new student and talked and demonstrated him through the taxi, pre-takeoff checks, and the takeoff.

We climbed to about 3500. the layers was right above but I could see clearing to the south. It was bumpy and maintaining straight and level and altitude took some work.

I found a nice big hole and we circled up through it. Soon we were on top and the sky above was smooth and beautifully clear. It was nice to see the sun unfiltered by haze or clouds!

We practiced Lazy 8s and chandelles. The Lazy 8s were tough as there were no clear reference points, so it was mostly and instrument lazy 8 -- not the ideal. But I got the hang of the roll rate and the pitch attitudes.

Soon we were at 11,000, so I spiraled down to dissipate some of the excess altitude.

I worked on steep turns, which were harder then I remembered as I had no trim wheel. I'm still trying to find the spot to jam my right elbow in. I'll need to practice those a couple of more times.

After 90 minutes we started heading back. Larry pulled the power and I pitched for best glide and talked through the engine start checklist. I took a little long explaining what I would do, but said I knew how to instinctively switch tanks, push mixture to full rich, throttle forward, and then check mags.

I took us pretty low where we would have made a field (about 500' AGL).

We headed bcak through the bumpy air to FWQ. I was a bit high and fast entering the pattern, but dissipated the energy and made a fairly good landing on 26 after adjusting for my overshot turn from base to final.

We debriefed a while, and then I climbed back into the A36 and flew solo back to VVS. It was another bumpy ride with poor visibility. I did a few S turns approaching VVS and then did a textbook short field landing on 31. I could have stopped long before the 1/2 way point but let it roll to the taxiway exit.

Overall a very good day's practice. I need a couple of more flights in the right seat, but should be ready soon.

We will try to get spin training in soon (today?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!