Saturday, December 11, 2010

Another Gorgeous Saturday

Winter's paid us a few visits so far, but Saturdays have been exempt, lately.

It warmed up to near 50 under clear skies and light winds -- the calm before the storm, since we're to get blizzard conditions within 48 hours.

Such is December in Southwest Pennsylvania.

I headed to the airport early and found the airplane snug and warm after a night with blankets and a heater under the engine. I fueled up, preflighted,  pulled the airplane into the sun, tied down, primed, pulled the prop through, mags to hot -- started on first throw!

I taxied down to 27 even though winds were calm to give the engine time to warm. Took off, overflew the airport, and headed east.

The air was a bit hazy so I used carb heat from time to time, but engine was running strong and we were crusing along at 80 MPH.

I texted Janet, told her "5 minutes" and she was waiting for me outside in front of the garage. I did a few low passes over the house -- sure was fun! I had to dodge the hill behind the house and didn't want to stick around too long lest a local get upset.

I wish Janet could have come along this morning -- it was smooth as glass and I didn't have to climb too high. Most of the time it was like looking out from a balcony in a tall apartment building.

Westbound about 500' above the ground

Flying along the valley in front of the house


The view from 500' Above the Ground.

Lots of rolling hills with remnants of snow. The black line is the prop as captured by the camera (it's turning about 38 times a second here)

Greene County, Pennsylvania

Back in the hangar
I headed Northeast, skimmed over Route 51, then flew towards Connellsville.

The river looked cold below with ice floes visible from above. I did some nap of the earth flying over some more remote areas then headed generally Southwest.

An hour and fifteen minutes today -- until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!